[HNW] needlework in summer heat

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jul 11 18:54:43 PDT 2005

Summers can be pretty hot in  western Montana, too.  Not as brutal as
some places--we don't get quite the heat that they do in the
southwestern states, and we *definitely* don't have the humidity that
much of the USA gets to put up with, though.  This summer is not so
bad--it's in the 90s, most days, but cools off into the 50s at night.
And bliss-above-bliss, we're not having (so far) a bad Fire Season this
year, so we're not breathing smoke and ash like past summers.
I've got a lot of different projects (some historical, some not) going
throughout the year, so in the hot summer months, I just switch to ones
that are smaller and more easy to clean.  I don't mess with the
beautiful silks and such that Bjarne does, though, so basic sanitation
generally serves just fine.  That, and remembering NOT to spill iced tea
on anything!  I don't have air conditioning, so I tend to spend evenings
out on the front porch, spinning or knitting (small things like socks)
or working on my blackwork.  I hadn't thought of using handwipes--Lynn,
that's just pure genius! ;o) (make note to self: put wipes on shopping
list....)
In the winter, I move to larger, warmer things--the knitting becomes
larger items, like sweaters, or I work on a quilt.  Most of my
garb/historical clothing gets made in the cold months as well, although
if I'm doing anything in the summer, it's apt to be something like hand
hemming a veil, or something light and small.
It occured to me that one of my projects-in-waiting (learning to spin
flax) would be perfect for this weather, as I'd need to be getting the
fibers wet! hmmmm......
--sue