[HNW] making the back of needlework look like the front

Joan Jurancich joanmj at surewest.net
Mon Jul 18 08:41:03 PDT 2005

At 08:21 AM 7/18/2005, you wrote:
>It is said that the mark of an expert needlework is that the back looks
>as good as the front.  Okay, so how does one do that?  Especially in
>counted cross stitch, there can be several different colors in an area
>that are one square a piece.  If you run your thread under the other
>threads in the back, you quickly have a mess.  Crewel embroidery is a
>little easier, especially if you are doing the satin stitch (it hides a
>multitude of sins) but not when you are using other stitches.  Any ideas
>would be appreciated.
>
>Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
>lambdakennels1 at juno.com
>Wolfe City, Texas 75496
>K5AMK
>Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog

I'm curious as to why you think that "the mark of an expert
needlework[er] is that the back looks as good as the front".  This is
a holdover from 19th century attitudes.  Unless you are trying to
make a reversible piece, the back only needs to be secure enough so
that the threads do not pull out.  As long as the front looks good, I
wouldn't worry about the back.

Joan Jurancich
joanmj at surewest.net