[HNW] The Creation Tapestry of the Girona Cathedral

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 13:07:41 PDT 2005

I'd also be interested in finding out exactly when the Bayeux  "tapestry"
started to be called a tapestry rather than an embroidery. 14th  century?
19th
century? Does anyone have any sources that discuss the  earliest descriptions
or
mentions of the work?

Please, oh please, even putting the word tapestry in inverted commas should
be avoided at all costs!  Let's all put our hands on our hearts and pledge  to
call these textiles what they are -- embroideries -- and leave the  word
tapestry to the weaving folks.  We can join forces with the  needlepointers who
spend their lives telling people that what they do is not  tapestry!

And there is an excellent paper in the compilation of papers from the  Cerisy
Colloquium that discusses exactly this subject.  I'll get it out and  post
the pertinent bits later.

Nancy