[HNW] making the back of needlework look like the front

Lois Perry ljperry at ns.sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 19 14:16:01 PDT 2005

Hi Stephanie

 The ladies are right. Historically, the back of needlework was not a
concern and neatness of the back is a modern invention. I had just that
question once when I entered a needlework competition where the back was
taken into consideration. I was told first place was between myself and
another lady and because of the neatness and care I had taken in the
back of my work I won. So to answer your question on how to make the
back of counted cross stitch neat, I have two suggestions.

First use 18 count Ada Cloth and two stands of floss. This is so you can
start your thread by the loop method. Cut one strand of floss twice the
length of what you would normally use and fold it in half s you have a
loop at one end and the two ends at the other. Thread the two ends in
the needle and make your first stitch guiding the needle through the
loop on the back. Then draw the loop snug  but do not pucker the fabric.
If you use this method of starting you eliminate all the threads that
you run under stitches to begin.

Second, when you end your thread, end it vertically and not
horizontally, weaving in and out of the horizontal line of threads on
the back. Try to always end a thread on its own colour. By ending your
threads this way your endings are almost invisible.

Hope this helps and is written clearly for you.
Lois