[HNW] heraldic hair nets

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 22 16:33:06 PDT 2005

I have been trying for some time to remember which book I own that has some
photos of extant heraldic hair nets/cauls. I was leafing through this book
and found them (well, they aren't hair nets, but they are photos of heraldic
darned netting:):

54 (a) Part of a band fo heraldic embroidery silk net darned with coloured
silks, German of fourteenth century (Victoria and Albert Museum, ref. 326,
London)

(b) fragment of fourteenth or fifteenth-century silk net darned with
coloured silks. (Brock Collection, Victoria and Albert Museum, ref. 8254,
London)

These (alas!) black and white photos from:

Pauline Knight, "The Technique of Filet Lace". B.T. Batsford, London, 1980
ISBN 0-7134-1698-X

Just FYI everyone -- I'm sure someone, somewhere, has color photos of these.

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn (Ret.)
"too many centuries....too little time"