[HNW] Egyptian Sampler

Penny Ladnier penny at costumegallery.com
Thu Nov 3 17:01:13 PST 2005

I am planning on making this Egyptian cross-stitch sampler:
http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3282&search=1# (make sure to include the # sign in the URL).  This is going to be really challenging for me... a lot of new stitches, two different colored threads as one, etc.

The book says to not use aida cloth but cloth and to work the stitches over one fabric thread.  Has anyone worked a pattern similar to this one?  If so, what type of fabric do you suggest I use?  My vision isn't as good as when I was 20 y.o. when I could count threads in a piece of regular fabric.   16 count aida cloth is what I usually use without magnifying aids.  So I am concerned if I am going to run into problems with regular cloth.  What kind of cloth do you all suggest that I use?

The sampler's suggest the size:
25 ct fabric (over 2 threads) finish 12 7/8" X 15 7/8"
160w X 198h stitch count.

Does this mean that if I use a 25 count fabric that I am to work over two threads instead of one?  Also how do I know the count on a piece of fabric.

Penny E. Ladnier
Owner,
The Costume Gallery, www.costumegallery.com
Costume Classroom, www.costumeclassroom.com