[HNW] Egyptian Sampler

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 3 19:01:12 PST 2005

I have two types of magnifiers.  One hangs around my neck with feet that
sit on my chest so I can look right through it without using a hand.  The
other is an ugly but useful set of magnifying goggles that I can wear over
my glasses.

Specialty embroidery shops have even-weave linens.  They are expensive but
make up beautifully; you buy them by the inch, such as 5 inches wide by 18
long.  They have a variety of threads per inch available.  Browsing will
give you a better idea of what you might want.

I've done blackwork on cloth that was not even weave (and can document that
they used such cloth in the 16th c.).  It takes patterns that should be
square and makes them rectangular, which is why even-weave linen is
recommended.

I don't know if you go over one thread or two.  The directions sound as
though they are inconsistent, from what you wrote.  Normally, a cross
stitch goes over 2, so that is probably right.

The count of a fabric is threads per inch.  Count both vertically and again
horizontally if you don't buy even-weave linen.

At 08:01 PM 11/3/05, you wrote:
>I am planning on making this Egyptian cross-stitch sampler:
><http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3282&search=1>http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3282&search=1#
>(make sure to include the # sign in the URL).  This is going to be really
>challenging for me... a lot of new stitches, two different colored threads
>as one, etc.
>
>The book says to not use aida cloth but cloth and to work the stitches
>over one fabric thread.  Has anyone worked a pattern similar to this
>one?  If so, what type of fabric do you suggest I use?  My vision isn't as
>good as when I was 20 y.o. when I could count threads in a piece of
>regular fabric.   16 count aida cloth is what I usually use without
>magnifying aids.  So I am concerned if I am going to run into problems
>with regular cloth.  What kind of cloth do you all suggest that I use?
>
>The sampler's suggest the size:
>25 ct fabric (over 2 threads) finish 12 7/8" X 15 7/8"
>160w X 198h stitch count.
>
>Does this mean that if I use a 25 count fabric that I am to work over two
>threads instead of one?  Also how do I know the count on a piece of fabric.
>
>Penny E. Ladnier
>Owner,
>The Costume Gallery, <http://www.costumegallery.com>www.costumegallery.com
>Costume Classroom, <http://www.costumeclassroom.com>www.costumeclassroom.com
>Costume Research Library,
><http://www.costumelibrary.com>www.costumelibrary.com

Carol & Darkness

I used to belong to a solipsism club, but I got bored and voted everyone
else out.
         - Anonymous button