[HNW] Egyptian Sampler

Jenn Ridley jridley at chartermi.net
Thu Nov 3 19:26:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 22:01:12 -0500, Carol Thomas
<scbooks at mindspring.com> wrote:
>Penny writes:

>>I am planning on making this Egyptian cross-stitch sampler:
>><http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3282&search=1>http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=3282&search=1#
>>(make sure to include the # sign in the URL).  This is going to be really
>>challenging for me... a lot of new stitches, two different colored threads
>>as one, etc.
>>
>>The book says to not use aida cloth but cloth and to work the stitches
>>over one fabric thread.  Has anyone worked a pattern similar to this
>>one?  If so, what type of fabric do you suggest I use?

A good basic evenweave embroidery fabric (Jobelan or Lugana) is a
good place to start.  They're both available in lots of colors and
thread counts, and not terribly expensive.  They're both very evenly
woven with even threads, which will make it easier to see.

>I don't know if you go over one thread or two.  The directions sound as
>though they are inconsistent, from what you wrote.  Normally, a cross
>stitch goes over 2, so that is probably right.

That particular piece has areas that are stitched over two threads and
some areas that are stitched over one thread (which is why Aida fabric
is unsuitable).  (It's a typical Teresa Wentzler pattern.  It's not
technically difficult to execute, it just requires lots of attention.)

You really want to be sure that you don't use an uneven weave fabric.
Jenn Ridley : jridley at chartermi.net