[HNW] recreating historical needlework pieces

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 13 08:12:27 PST 2005

In addition to the good ideas already given by others, try blowing up any
photos on a copier.  Sometimes even poor photos give you more information
when they are larger.  For example, on fuzzy photo, after being enlarged
over 200%, showed me that the reason I was having trouble counting stitches
was that the fabric was very uneven, so the cross stitches were
rectangular.  That was the clue I needed.

A second example was a "needlepoint" tudor pillow which turned out to be
cross stitch, not tent stitch as the author had described it.

A true period sampler would also help you.  For your own reference, do
small sections of each stitch that  are supposed to be in the
example.  Since most stitches have a distinctive texture, it will be easier
to tell which is used in each part of the piece.

> > When recreating period pieces, how do you tell which stitch they used
> > from the photographs available?  Most of them are not close-ups and it is
> > difficult to see the individual stitches.  The blurb may say what
> > stitches are in the piece, but they don't say where in the work each type
> > of stitch is.
> >
> > Stephanie Lilburn
> > aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
> > lambdakennels1 at juno.com
> > Wolfe City, Texas 75496
> > K5AMK
> > Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog

Carllein

http://small-churl-books.com

e-mail:
<carol at small-churl-books.com>