[HNW] recreating historical crewel embroidery

Stephanie S Smith, Ph.D. lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Mon Nov 14 07:02:26 PST 2005

 I am looking for some historical crewel embroidery to recreate.  My
period is 8th century Ireland, but the embroidery can be any time in the
SCA period.  So, first I need to find something I would like to
replicate, then figure out what stitches were used and where each stitch
is in the work.  This is the first time I have tried to do this, although
I do modern crewel embroidery and counted cross stitch all the time.
Consequently, any help you can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
lambdakennels1 at juno.com
Wolfe City, Texas 75496
K5AMK
Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog