[HNW] recreating historical crewel embroidery

Joan Jurancich joanmj at surewest.net
Mon Nov 14 07:28:38 PST 2005

At 07:02 AM 11/14/2005, you wrote:
>  I am looking for some historical crewel embroidery to recreate.  My
>period is 8th century Ireland, but the embroidery can be any time in the
>SCA period.  So, first I need to find something I would like to
>replicate, then figure out what stitches were used and where each stitch
>is in the work.  This is the first time I have tried to do this, although
>I do modern crewel embroidery and counted cross stitch all the time.
>Consequently, any help you can offer would be deeply appreciated.
>
>Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.
>lambdakennels1 at juno.com
>Wolfe City, Texas 75496
>K5AMK
>Owned by a Standard Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog

How are you defining "crewel embroidery"?  If you are just looking at
using wool, look into the Bayeaux Embroidery (formerly called a
tapestry).  If you are thinking about design motifs, the
commonly-used motifs are Jacobean (early 17th century) and 18th
century colonial/American revolutionary war period.

Joan Jurancich
joanmj at surewest.net