[HNW] recreating historical crewel embroidery

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 14 12:09:05 PST 2005

If by crewel, you mean what I call freehand (not counted) stitches, I'd
recommend that you ask your library to borrow an out of print book for
you:  Embroidery in Britain from 1200 to 1750, by King and Levey.  ISBN
1-55859-652-6.  This has dozens of good photographs of embroideries from
the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.  The dates and types of stitches
are given for each example.

Browse the goodies and see what you would like to try!

At 10:02 AM 11/14/05, you wrote:
>  I am looking for some historical crewel embroidery to recreate.  My
>period is 8th century Ireland, but the embroidery can be any time in the
>SCA period.  So, first I need to find something I would like to
>replicate, then figure out what stitches were used and where each stitch
>is in the work.  This is the first time I have tried to do this, although
>I do modern crewel embroidery and counted cross stitch all the time.
>Consequently, any help you can offer would be deeply appreciated.
>
>Stephanie Smith, Ph.D.

Carllein

http://small-churl-books.com

e-mail: