[HNW] Re: H-needlework Digest, Vol 30, Issue 13 Slate frames info?

Rikke D. Giles rgiles at centurytel.net
Wed Nov 23 16:15:49 PST 2005

On 2005.11.23 15:23, Slcarroll517 at aol.com wrote:
> I too, would love to know about  the slate frames.  Everyone seems
> to love them, and I've seen pictures, but  no close ups to see how
> they work so well.
> Can anyone explain to this  dummy how they work?  And how they are
> so different and better than other  frames?
> Thanks!

Here's some pics that might help.  This store is, by the way, one of
the few which I've found on the net which sell slate frames:

http://www.accomplishments-shop.com/SlateFrames.html

The difference and how are they better?
Hmm, I'm not sure if I can quantify it.  All I know is once I got my
work into a slate frame, I immedately 'grokked' why they are so much
better.  Tension is perfect, no rolling this or that, no weirdo
stretching, no marks on the fabric from being folded around a
circular frame.  If I want to undo it for storage I can without much
trouble.  I can see all parts of the work at once.

In the end though, I think it's the tension.  I started my current
opus in a Q-snap frame, which I usually love.  Then I switched it to
the slate frame after I got it, and I couldn't believe how much
better it was, even over my wonderful Q-snaps!

Maybe others have different opinions?  Or can better explain how they
work and why?

Cheers,
Rikke