[HNW] Re: slate frame

Debloughcostumes@aol.com Debloughcostumes at aol.com
Fri Nov 25 16:22:53 PST 2005

Hi,

Am new to this list.

Just thought I'd add to the 'slate frame' discussion, in case it helps with
any of the confusion :o)

It's actually a very old design - there's a medieval illustration (14thC
offhand, but may be a later) of a woman embroidering using a very similar frame to
the classic frame still used today (although the medieval legs are trestles,
with the frame apparently balanced on top).

Modern slate frames are quite well illustrated here,
http://www.royal-needlework.co.uk/acatalog/Slate_Frame.html
and in use, here
http://www.royal-needlework.co.uk/apprenticeships/third_year.php
and here (at the bottom of the page)
http://www.tracyafranklin.com/royal_school_needlework.asp
(don't get mixed up by the stands - they're separate)

It takes a good couple of hours to set up a proper slate frame (and I admit I
cheat for small projects and tend to use a version from barnyarns, (in north
yorkshire), that's a lot quicker to set up and almost as good, or a wooden
hoop, or my square stitch-on frame).

Debs.