[HNW] Knitting book

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 2 16:27:32 PST 2006

While this book has a great deal of useful information, I have a few
reservations about it.  He describes some alternative knitting methods, and
there is one that I learned almost 50 years ago.  His description of it
made no sense to me.  I have also been told that there is controversy about
other parts of the book, but cannot recall the details.  I think it is
worth having, but consider his conclusions and descriptions carefully.

I have two of Turnau's articles (ILL librarians are a gift from heaven),
plus 2 teaching packets from original research by an SCA member.  Contact
me off list if you would like them.

At 11:15 AM 12/2/06, you wrote:
>The classic would probably be Richard Rutt's "A History of Hand Knitting."
>I believe that the 2nd edition is in print, and at a relatively reasonable
>cost, but that it doesn't have the color photos that the 1st edition does.
>You can still, sometimes, find a first edition (I did), but the cost is
>substantially higher.  It's got some nice chapters on extant items from
>medieval and Renaissance Europe--alms bags, hats, etc., as well as a small
>section on Islamic textiles, and earlier forms of fabric construction such
>as naalbinding.  And later stuff, too.
>There's some stuff out there by Irene Turnau, too, but all I've seen of hers
>is some translations of a few articles, and people referring to her other
>work.  She's apparently pretty hard to find, and not all of it's translated,
>or translated well.  IIRC, the original's in Polish.
>You might also point your friend to the Historical Knitting group on Yahoo!.
>We cover everything up to the 1950s, more or less, although we seem to
>cluster heavily in the middle ages/renaissance and the 18th and 19th
>centuries.  There are some *amazing* people on the list whom your friend
>might find very helpful as resources, plus, there's always interesting stuff
>in the files and photos sections.
>--Sue (embroidery and knitting geek, among other things ;o)

Carllein
Small Churl Books