[HNW] Re: cotton fleece

ianruadh@zonnet.nl ianruadh at zonnet.nl
Tue Jan 10 23:28:02 PST 2006

The nearest place where cotton was available for europeans in the thirteenth century was Egypt. It was and is
the producere of the best quality cotton in the world. Some say this isn't so. There cotton makes the highest prize
on the world market. That should say something. Cotton fabric/garments/yarn must have been among the items
which came to europe with returning crusaders. There is a cloth called fustein. It was made of a linnen weave
and a cotton went. To reduce the prize of the finished product? If cotton was avialable in the thirteenth century,
than it most certainly was a luxery product. It had to travel a long distance before it reached europe (and even
further if it had to go to the north of the continent) and the production capacity of the counrty of origin was limited
(no furilizers, no pesticide and no mecanical harvesting equipment in those days).

Yours sincerely:

Johan Terlouw