[HNW] Re: Re: Re: cotton fleece by Allison

ianruadh@zonnet.nl ianruadh at zonnet.nl
Mon Jan 16 22:48:44 PST 2006

 > You might want to pick up a copy of Mazzaoui's book "The Italian Cotton
> Industry in the Later Middle Ages 1100-1600." She is, by profession, a
> historian
> who specializes in industrial history---and this book is her research into
> the
> medieval industry of cotton manufacture, distribution, import/export, etc.
> She
> concludes that cotton was probably a low-class fabric, used for ready-made
>
> garments, household items, and sailcloth, based on her study of extant
> documents,
> merchant records, letters, inventory lists, etc. Cotton was widely
> available
> in the 13th century, I believe that it was being cultivated in many parts
> of
> Italy and exported throughout Europe by then.
>
> My theory, based in large part on her work, is that the reason cotton is so
>
> rarely seen/mentioned in extant records is not because it was a luxury item
> but
> because it was a common, low-class item. Cotton is sometimes, but not
> often,
> used as a ground in embroidery. It's uncommon enough that when it is found
> it
> is somewhat of a surprise. The magnificent altar frontal of Pope Sixtus IV,
>
> housed in Assisi, was discovered to have a ground of evenweave cotton. The
>
> conservators were shocked when they discovered this, and made mention of it
> in the
> book that was published of the conservation.
>
> Cheers,
> Gabrielle

Dear Gabrielle,
On the death of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, better known as the Black Prince (Prince Edward of
Woodstock), his body was brought to the cathedral at Canterbury to be burried according to the last will and
testament of the Prince. The place where he was laid to rest can still be seen. It is a magnificent tomb. Nearby is
a reproduction of the tabard, heraldic surcoat, which the Prince used on the battle field [the original had become
to fragile]. Near the crtossing of the church, in a display cabinet, is the original. A investigation into the piece
brought to light that its was made of a outer and an inner lair of material, between which one finds a 'stuffing'  of
cotton. This is an item used in a high status enviroment (at this point I'm not talking about the way and manner in
which the garment has been decorated). How do I make this match with your remark.

Yours sincerely:

Johan Terlouw
Johan Trlouw