[HNW] Re: Re: cotton fleece

Cat Dancer pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jan 17 06:28:54 PST 2006

> Seems unlikely that if something can grow here that we would pay extra to
> have it shipped from the other side of the world.  Just my opinion.  And
> remember 400 years ago thier was a time when the avarage tempature was
> higher, grapes grew in scotland, and english wines were the bane of the
> french.
>
> joy
>
> radei

Actually, 400 years ago it was still too cold. The *Romans* grew grapes
in Britain, the Tudors could not. In fact, the average temperature during
the little ice age was at it's lowest about 400 years ago.

http://vathena.arc.nasa.gov/curric/land/global/climchng.html

I've read the cotton industry in Italy book. IIRC, one can draw the
conclusion from her data that when Europeans first encountered cotton it
was imported and thus expensive, when they started growing their own it
became a lot cheaper and lost its cachet as an imported fabric. It *looks*
like cotton was a lot more popular as a fiber in the warmer parts of
Europe, where the culture and manufacture were more local.

Margaret FitzWilliam