[HNW] cotton fleece

SNSpies@aol.com SNSpies at aol.com
Tue Jan 17 12:53:14 PST 2006

Conventional knowledge is that cotton was rare except in the  Mediterranean
areas, was of poor quality, and so the fibers were used  mainly for stuffing
rather than fabric.

Just a note, if I may: the cotton that was being raised, imported, traded,
and worn in the Mediterranean basis through the 12th century was from the
sublime to the ridiculous in terms of quality and was put to a wide variety of
uses.  Yes, it was apparently fairly uncommon north of the Mediterranean;  we
mustn't forget how important the Mediterranean basis was during the Middle  Ages
and Renaissance.  I think, myself included, that many of us in the SCA  are
northern-Europe-centric, often to a fault!  The trading monopolies  shifted
from the Arabs to the northern Italians only in the 12th-13th  century.  I would
highly recommend S.D. Goitein's books on the Geniza  documents from 9th-13th
century Egypt.  Amazing information about  textiles.

Nancy

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Nancy  Spies
Arelate Studio
_www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html_
(http://www.weavershand.com/ArelateStudio.html)
Ingvild  Josefsdatter, OL
Bright Hills, Atlantia

Save the earth; it's the only  planet with chocolate.

"But if by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks  ahead and not behind,
someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions,  someone who cares about
the welfare of the people -- their health, their  housing, their schools,
their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil  liberties -- someone who believes
we can break through the stalemate and  suspicions that grip us in our
policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a  'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say
I'm a 'Liberal'." John F. Kennedy, 14 Sept  1960