[HNW] cotton in SCA period

Allison263@aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Wed Jan 18 06:48:53 PST 2006

In a message dated 1/17/06 10:02:00 PM, sfarmer at goldsword.com writes:

> Are you saying that Cotton Floss is actually "period?"  that's just
> *wild*

Not quite. :) I wouldn't ever make a blanket statement that cotton floss and
fabric were all period, all the time. I do think, however, that there is
evidence to show that cotton was used in *some* places, for *some* items, during
*some* points in time. I should also clarify that my research is specifically
into Italian history, and clothing and embroidery of Italy and the
Mediterranean. Mazzaoui's book focuses on the Italian cotton trade, as well. My main focus
of study is the Italy from 1470-1550. I've also been doing some reading about
Islamic trade industries and manufacture, as well as some work into
embroideries and textiles of the middle east. I'm fascinated at how much influence the
Middle east had on European culture due to the Crusades, and it's been
interesting finding the dots, and connecting them, in meaningful ways.

The SCA myth that cotton was never used is mainly what is being challenged by
the information about cotton manufacture and use. Cotton STILL is not the
best fiber for most things, it wears out quickly and doesn't generally have the
hand of a finer fabric. But those are also the qualities that make it perfect
for cheap, lower class clothing and personal items (just as it is today). But I
strongly believe that cotton was far more prevalent in Europe than was once
thought, especially in the 11th-14th centuries.

Cheers,
Gabrielle