[HNW] gems

Terri Morgan online2much at cox.net
Fri Jan 20 08:00:01 PST 2006

I believe that the Coronation garb of Roger II has gems mounted in what I
think of as "Arabic/Indian style" - caged in by a network of threads that
start as wide as the gem's bottom and then grow smaller in circumference as
they tighten around the gem..,. I apologise for the poor description. At any
rate, they use only thread and the ground of the cloth they're mounted on to
keep the gemstone in place. Even then, that is still post-Byzantine. I don't
believe there are any extant Byzantine outfits but might there be some help
by checking with Orthodox Church records to see if any of their ecclesiastic
garb has made it down through the years far enough that some of it may be
closer in date?

Hrothny