[HNW] gems

Laren laren at webcon.net.au
Sat Jan 21 01:59:54 PST 2006

At 01:55 AM 21/01/2006, you wrote:

>In a message dated 1/20/06 12:17:32 AM, ladysatinedelacourcel at hotmail.com
>writes:
>

>>I do what I call embroidered gems on my Byzantine Garments however I have
>>heard it is and it its not beriod... I am at a loss..
>
>The only gems I have ever personally examined are those on embroideries
>and on eccleasiastical vestments that post date the Byzantine era. (mostly
>14th, 15th and 16th century items). However, all of those gems are
>attached to fabric with metal mounts. In most cases the gems and mounts
>are sewn onto the fabric. Sometimes I couldn't see any stitches, and I
>made the assumption that the gems were either glued onto the fabric, or
>the mounts were pushed through the fabric. Since I couldn't see the backs
>of the items I couldn't tell for sure.

There is a 10th C Chasuble, of German/Austrian origin where the gems are
attached using gold thread. It basically uses the Shisha embroidery
technique, subsituting gems for mirrors.

There is a very detailed article in: Textile Conservation, by Mechtild
Flury-Lemberg, Abegg Foundation 1988

Although this is a religious garment, I think you could extrapolate it's
use in secular garments, especially since many Western European
ecclesiascial garments had their origins in Byzantine court clothing.

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Stockton - jane_stockton at webcon.net.au
Barony of Mordenvale, Kingdom of Lochac