[HNW] 18th century sprang?

Kristine Elliott souriete at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:45:39 PDT 2006

Collingwood's Sprang book has a picture of what is alleged to be George
Washington's military sash made using sprang. I believe it is silk. A few
more bits of info here:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/sprang-msg.html .

Scolastica

On 5/17/06, Kathryn Newell <cknewell at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I was visiting a friend a couple of weekensd ago. We were looking at some
> of
> her books of 18th century costuming. She showed me a page showing a photo
> of
> a pair of what looked like 18th century netted long fingerless mitts. The
> caption said sprang.
>
> Say what?  Sprang that late?
>
> My understanding is that sprang is a twined work -- no knots. How do you
> work the fingerless fingers part? This really boggles my  mind.  Somebody
> enlighten me, please!
>
> --Kathryn
> SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
> "too many centuries...too little time"

http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least
teach
'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz