[HNW] could use some advice

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 10:56:39 PDT 2007

I could use some advice. I'm pondering the purchase of a pricey floor frame
for large needlepoint projects. I don't need this frame to look historic,
since it's main use will be at home.

Most of my cross stitch/needlepoint projects are under 26" wide. I have 30"
rollers for some larger projects. I haven't had much luck using my old floor
frame with the wide rollers -- the fabric/canvas doesn't sit tight enough.
It fits unevenly, and I find my work pulling on a bias. This could, of
course, be due to the fact that I tend to knit tight, crochet tight,
needlepoint tight, etc.

I have two larger projects I plan for our house. Each will require rollers
wider  than 26" (which I can get on the Stitchers Wonder floor frame for
$70, less a discount).

Would you invest $$ in a frame just for some oversized projects? I know some
people can needlepoint in their laps, but I prefer to "stab" rather than
"sew" the stitches, and this is much easier with a floor frame. Since
"sewing" pulls on the bias even more, I'm leery of trying that technique.

I'm looking for something that fits under my chair or my side of the sofa,
which doesn't help the "wish paramaters" <sheepish look>

The closest frame I can find that is affordable is still $133.00 -- and
that's *without* some adaptors for the wider 30" rollers. This would add
even more $$$.

I have a friend  (2 hours away) who is inventive and works with wood a lot.
He may be my only solution, since I bet he could widget something up which
would make my 30" rollers fit better.

Thanks for letting me vent. Besides telling me I'm being (1) inpractical and
(2) overly fussy, I'd appreciate any advice

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"