[HNW] fuzzy silk

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 11:40:34 PDT 2007

In a message dated 8/5/07 8:53:17 AM, ladyrose42 at comcast.net writes:

> Doesn't have the fuzzies you get with non-filament silk.

You can eliminate some of the fuzziness of silk by using the correct needles.
High end embroidery shops (The Edwardian Needle in New Jersey comes to mind,
but I'm sure there are others) carry needles especiallyfor silk work--they
have eyes that are slightly larger, so that it creates a bigger hole in the
ground fabric for the silk to pass through---thus decreasing friction with the
fabric, thus diminishing the fuzz factor. Also, if you lightly coat the thread
with beeswax (I prefer the white but the yellow will do) you get rid of a lot of
fuzz. Most craft stores sell blocks of beeswax in the candlemaking section. I
make my own beeswax tokens by melting the wax and pouring it into small soap
or candy molds.

cheers,
Gabrielle