[HNW] could use some advice

Debloughcostumes at aol.com Debloughcostumes at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 15:17:54 PDT 2007

well I don't think you're being fussy.

I'd invest that kind of money and more (and have).

ok, I sew and embroider for a living, but I embroider double handed, so  have
to have it free standing.

debs

Message:  2
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:56:39 -0400
From: "Kathryn Newell"  <cknewell at earthlink.net>
Subject: [HNW] could use some advice
To:  "h-needlework" <h-needlework at ansteorra.org>

I could use some advice. I'm pondering the purchase  of a pricey floor frame
for large needlepoint projects. I don't need this  frame to look historic,
since it's main use will be at home.

Most  of my cross stitch/needlepoint projects are under 26" wide. I have 30"
rollers for some larger projects. I haven't had much luck using my old  floor
frame with the wide rollers -- the fabric/canvas doesn't sit tight  enough.
It fits unevenly, and I find my work pulling on a bias. This  could, of
course, be due to the fact that I tend to knit tight, crochet  tight,
needlepoint tight, etc.

I have two larger projects I plan  for our house. Each will require rollers
wider  than 26" (which I can  get on the Stitchers Wonder floor frame for
$70, less a  discount).

Would you invest $$ in a frame just for some oversized  projects? I know some
people can needlepoint in their laps, but I prefer  to "stab" rather than
"sew" the stitches, and this is much easier with a  floor frame. Since
"sewing" pulls on the bias even more, I'm leery of  trying that technique.

I'm looking for something that fits under my  chair or my side of the sofa,
which doesn't help the "wish paramaters"  <sheepish look>

The closest frame I can find that is affordable  is still $133.00 -- and
that's *without* some adaptors for the wider 30"  rollers. This would add
even more $$$.

I have a friend  (2  hours away) who is inventive and works with wood a lot.
He may be my only  solution, since I bet he could widget something up which
would make my 30"  rollers fit better.

Thanks for letting me vent. Besides telling me I'm  being (1) inpractical and
(2) overly fussy, I'd appreciate any  advice

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too  little time"