[HNW] Counted Cross Stitch

Alexandria Doyle garbaholic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:12:39 PDT 2007

Liz,
Just a reminder this isn't an SCA specific list - However,start your
search for Mary Stewart's embroideries, there's a really good book out
there as well as a website.  The type of work you will find is similar
to needlepoint, silk on linen ground - no aida cloth here- with
patterns that are emblems that often used cross stitch.

check for Jane Bostock's sampler, one of the earliest date samplers.

Latest, crewel work, if I'm not mistaken is wool yarn worked on a
linen ground, if so, I've seen such pieces in household furnishings of
the 16th century, but not clothing and other fine items.

All of these items are 16th century/ English centric.

Question for you, why would you assume being illiterate would preclude
one from doing a sampler?  It would seem to me that it would make it
more important, since it would be a record of stitches learned, that
would not require a book to remind one.

and since you mentioned Steppes Artisan, a local SCA event from a week
or so ago, I will mention that my granddaughter presented her
embroidery sampler in the children's division.  We had started out
with the plan to make a doll, and I wanted her to have knowledge of
the embroidery stitches to do the face.  Her sampler includes chain,
stem and satin stitches as well as french knot.  She did quite well
for an eight year old.  and her bottom line is that she likes most
stitches, except french knots.  She wants to learn blackwork next.  My
daughter had grumbled once while my granddaughter was embroidering
away that I had never taught her to embroidery.  My granddaughter gave
her the "it's easy Mom, I'll show you" and proceeded to give her
mother an embroidery lesson.

alex

On 8/7/07, Liz Wilson <ewilson618 at tx.rr.com> wrote:

> I am new to the SCA and looking for information about Crewel work and
> Counted Cross Stitch.  I have done the latter in the past and did see some
> of it exhibited at Steppes Artisan.  Are either of these types of embroidery
> considered period?  Would the  Counted Cross Stitch be more period if done
> on linen of fine cotton rather than the current modern cloth (aida, not sure
> about the spelling)?  Also, I have done samplers in the past (like the Early
> American type).  Did anyone do samplers in period, or were most people too
> illiterate?  I am thinking that they might have been done in the cities or
> monastaries but have no real information one way or the other.  If anyone
> has any websites that they could recommend so that I could research these
> issues, I would be most appreciative.  I would like to have a nice portable
> embroidery project that is in period to work on since that is an area that I
> have some experience with already.
>
> Cristiana (aka Liz of Flower Mound)

I can handle anything that life throws at me.
I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or
with finesse, or expediently
-- but I will handle it.