[HNW] Regarding Samplers/Illiteracy

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 15:21:43 PDT 2007

Actually, from what I recall about the Colonial period in America, the samplers WERE in fact for learning letters and many were done by girls ages 5 to 12.  I just assumed (perhaps erroneously) in my earlier email that most samplers are dated after the Medieval period because more of the common people did not attempt to learn their letters, but I expect that among the upper classes that is exactly what they were used for.  I just don't have the research done to know when this practiced started or the history of samplers in general.

Cristiana aka Liz