[HNW] 1597 Sibmacher

Lavolta Press fran at lavoltapress.com
Mon Aug 27 12:22:29 PDT 2007

You do not need to have a small business registered to get an ISBN.

And if you look closely at my e-mail--rather than rushing to find
something "inaccurate" in it to criticize--I never said that you do.

What I said is that you need to go through the proper government
procedures to set up any small business, including registering your
business name. Bowker will not probably not check on whether you have
registered your business, but various government entities eventually
will. They care, because you will in most states owe sales taxes on
in-state sales, and you will owe state and federal income taxes on the
income from your business.  There are also sometimes city zoning issues
related to your business location.

There is a group of set-up operations (including filing government forms
and getting ISBNs) that most small presses perform around the same time;
and all this set-up is best done before any books are manufactured.  At
this time it is also necessary to buy the hardware and software needed
for the business, set up an accounting system, set up a marketing
database, set up various spreadsheets, and so on.  It is a good idea to
buy a general book on starting small businesses in general, in addition
to the publishing books I mentioned, because business books discuss
things like accounting procedures in more detail.

Fran
Lavolta Press Books on Historic Costuming
http://www.lavoltapress.com