[HNW] 1597 Sibmacher

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 20:35:03 PDT 2007

Regina:

< I'm confused.  You charted your versions from 19th Century and earlier
books?  If so, then those who reprint those books do not have copyright over
the patterns taken from books that were no longer in copyright. If you
charted your patterns from the current book they might have a reason to
complain.>

Ooops- sorry. My brain was thinking in a different vein. I was thinking in
terms of  the "treasure trove" of finding actual patterns. I tend to think
that anyone who sees a charted pattern can rechart it, or work it direictly
from the 16th century charts (when my eyes were younger I could).

For example:

LACIS reprinted a book I knew as "Patrons de Broderie et de Lingerie du XVI
Siecele" by Hippolyte Cocheris. I believe it was an 1870's facsimile  (can't
find my notes) reprinting of some 16th century pattern books. I found this
19th century copy in the research stacks at the Boston Public Library when I
lived there. In the early 1990's I was visiting Boston and made some
photocopies of some of the plates. I then recharted a few of them and put
them aside for "The Goodwyn Miscellany".

When LACIS reprinted this book as "Patterns, Embroidery: early 16th Century"
by Claude Nourry & Pierre de Saincte Louie" it didn't ring a bell. When I
bought a copy and thumbed through the plates I recognized it instantly. I
was thrilled for SCA needleworkers, but chagrinned. I felt I had "lost" a
"secret source" for some patterns. Who was going to be interested in my
recharting if they can hold an original plate in their hands and work from
that? I may still include these 2 or 3 patterns as filler if I don't have
enough patterns from other, harder to find sources.

I guess I tend to still knee-jerk to the Ancient Times. You're an Ancient
Timer, too, so I think you can grok to some of this. We were re-inventing
the wheel Way Back Then and it was just so exciting to find
something--*anything*!! I remember how thrilled people  were when I came out
with "Flowers of the Needle". I didn't see much excitement from SCA folks
(other than those on this List) when the 1597 Sibmacher came out. There I
was, excited as heck because most people hadn't ever seen these patterns.
When my book came out I was puzzled by the lack of enthusiasm. The copies
didnt' seem to sell all that well, either, which was disheartening. This is
part of why I lost interest in trying to make my publisher communicate
better with me. It all seemed like diminishing returns. She was talking
about how out of pocket she was, and the impression I had is that it just
wasn't a success. I had gotten all excited about it, then was so let down.

FWIW I've keep EVERY letter from the folks on this List who pre-ordered my
book, because you all were so sweet. So there!

<Speaking of reprinting...  Any information on the Neu Carolingian
ModelBook?>

Oh, that will never come back into print. Poor Ianthe/Kim Salazar. She was
screwed over by her publisher worse than me. Her Ladyship was thinking of
putting the patterns, slowly, for free on her website. However, her job
keeps eating her up alive. Kim is a tech writer for  IRobot, the company
which makes Roomba, the vacuum robot, and Scooba, the robot that scrubs your
floor. I got to see Scooba in action! (she gets to  Beta test them). Trust
me, I've informed her of a good publisher, and the copyright lawyer I used,
but she's highly involved in her house, her family, and her job. (it
happens).

One more wrinkle for Kim: she copyrighted her patterns by including the
"copyright
Kim Brody Salazar" (and date) on every pattern. However-- her publisher
copyrighted
the total book to himself. What a headache!

Did you know that Countess Ianthe/Kim Salazar is the Walking Dead?
No lie. She has seen one modern designer of needlework kits steal one of her
patterns to include in a kit. When she challenged the woman the woman said
"I was told you were dead so it was OK to use the pattern". When Kim
threatened her with being sued the woman stopped. Heaven knows who said Kim
was dead???

Dead Scenario #2. When Robert Goff, her publisher, and his wife went through
a bitter divorce the wife got some copies of Ianthe's book. They ended up
being given/sold to a pal, who then put them on Ebay. When  Kim found this
auction she contacted the seller. The seller told her she had been told she
was dead. :-O  Good heavens.

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"