[HNW] 15997 Sibmacher

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 30 05:29:38 PDT 2007

The IRS isn't a problem as long as you are showing a small
profit.  It does have a problem with people who take "loss"
deductions off their income tax, year after year, without showing a
profit in a reasonable number of years.  Registering?  No.  I just
started submitting a Schedule 1040 C with a tiny profit, as part of
my income tax return.

My state wants you to (1) have a sales tax license if you are selling
directly and (2) pay local property taxes on business property.  The
property tax came to less than $20 last year, IIRC.  I have tables, a
computer used partly as a business deduction, shelving in a stock
room, my tent used only at Pennsic, etc.  But these also are income
tax deductions.

I was supposed to file a "declaration" form for the property taxes
every year, but didn't know it.  (This is just a listing of the
business' equipment.)  My town assessor found me by my state sales
tax filing, and told me to start filing.  So I did.

Some states don't even have a tax like this.

Don't be discouraged.  Not so difficult!

Carllein