[HNW] 15997 Sibmacher

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Thu Aug 30 09:45:20 PDT 2007

Greetings,

Definitely don't drop this! It sounds like a lot of work, but in the end it's
not that much. I have my own business (I'm a freelance writer, editor, and
consultant) and I didn't have to go through any of the steps talked about here.
I found a good accountant who walked me through the steps of properly filing
my taxes for my business, and it's been 10 years and I've done fine. If you
have an accountant he or she can help you---or tell you who to talk to.

I'm somewhat mystified at this discussion, because it's not been my
experience that an author needs to do all this. With the small print run you're
considering, it seems to me that it would be OK to make good copies and then sell
them to vendors who would then sell them to the public. I know that Poison Pen
Press had done this in the past (or was it Small Churl, I don't recall). That is
what a lot of crafters do as well, espeically on Ebay. You might consider
selling your book online exclusively, too. I think it really depends on whether
you want to start a full-fledged business, or whether you want to simply sell a
few copies. Personally, I think you have the opportunity to fill a great
need, which is good quality reproductions of period embroidery patterns--it sounds
like the makings of a nice niche business. But that's all up to you!

Cheers,
Gabrielle