[HNW] Printing, etc.

Lavolta Press fran at lavoltapress.com
Thu Aug 30 12:00:30 PDT 2007

Juliann wrote:

> I'm sorry to have this as my first post to this list, but I'm afraid
> I am not understanding why getting something printed/done up for a
> small run for people within the SCA has turned into setting up a
> small publishing company and all of its legalities etc?  Is there
> something inherently undesirable about using Lulu.com for printing,
> distribution, ISBN, etc?

If you want to make money, yes, services like Lulu are undesirable. They
raise your unit cost (the cost of producing one copy of the book)
significantly.

The cheapest per-unit costs are offset, if you are producing more than a
few hundred copies.  Offset is also the highest-quality printing method.
The next cheapest are POD PRINTERS, who merely print the book and do not
offer extra services. The most expensive are POD PUBLISHERS, such as
Lulu.  Profesional publishers never photocopy (not even usually galleys
any more), which is the highest-cost way to get the lowest-quality book.

Yes, the industry calls Lulu a subsidy press.  Here are some articles on
subsidy POD presses:

http://gropenassoc.com/blog/?p=7
http://splash.selfpublishing.com/question1.php

The other thing about professional publishing is this:  Getting reviews.

Reviewers for any major publication know who everyone is, by publisher
name and, with POD publishers, the ISBNs they provide.  Or at least,
where everyone ranks in the industry. Reviewers can tell a major press,
from a university press, from a small press, from a micropress, from a
subsidy press in a minute. Every such publication regularly receives
hundreds or thousands more books than they have review space for, so
they're very eager to weed out books from consideration. The smaller the
press, the less likely they are to review its books. Although subsidy
press books _very_ occasionally get reviewed, generally any subsidy
label is the kiss of death.

Sometimes POD printers and even POD publishers are used for a small run,
sometimes as few as 10 copies or so, of bound galleys or Advance Reading
Copies/ARCs, which these days are about the same thing as a bound galley
with a fancier cover. This is because a handful of extremely influential
industry publications, and the competitors for review space within them,
have upped the standards for bound galleys to the point that what these
publications require is really a finished book--fully edited,
illustrated, and bound in softcover.  Whether or not it should have a
special ARC cover that looks almost but not quite like the real book
cover, or instead a white cover, is a matter of intense debate. Because,
these publications also require this essentially finished book to be
submitted three or four months before publication, because they firmly
refuse to review "finished books."  In other words, they want a finished
book, but you can't actually submit a finished book or an ARC that could
be mistaken for one.

It may seem like a senseless game to play, but I play it, because the
stakes are high. A review in one of these publications means you sell
thousands more books than you'd sell otherwise. I haven't managed to get
one yet, but hope springs eternal.  My books have, however, been
reviewed in a fair number of midsize consumer publications such as
_Threads_, and in more or less academic publications like the British
Costume Society journal; and these publications don't review subsidy
press books either.

POD publishers are considered highly appropriate for hobby books: Family
memoirs, and so on. It's just that publications oriented to reviewing
books intended for sale, don't review hobby books.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

   It has really changed the print-on-demand