[HNW] 1597 Sibmacher

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Aug 30 20:33:33 PDT 2007

Katheryn,

	I was just looking at my collection of bound books for an example of what I
was trying to say about public domain works being utilized from the original
printings even though there is a more recent re-publication out there.
	Here is what I have:  The Chronicle of Calais.  Original manuscript from
the time of the Field of the Cloth of Gold resides in the British Museum.
It was published by the Camden Society, edited by John Gough Nichols in
1846.  It was re-published in the US in 1968 by A.M.S. press.  In the front
is a note that it is reprinted with permission of the Royal Historical
Society.  There is no mention anywhere in the front of the edition I have of
copyright.  Now you can find that same book on-line at
http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=&scope=books .  They scanned in the
original 1846 edition that was in the Public Domain.  If I took that,
downloaded it and printed it AMS publishers and any other of the more recent
publishers in the UK would have no case against me if I decided to sell it
to re-coup my toner, paper and printer costs.  I didn't do that because it
would be silly since I got the hard back version for $10 on
www.bookfinder.com something I did After I found the on-line version.  I
can't rest the monitor on my tummy and read in bed the way I can with bound
volumes :-)

	Another example is the numerous on-line copies of the Babies Book and other
15th Century texts which have also been put out by the Early English Text
Society in both the 19th and 20th centuries.  People either used the 19th
century version or the original text.

	I'm a fan of Holinshed and Hall's Chronicles.  Both of them are webbed at
the Schoenberg Center for Electronic Text and Imaging
http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti/printedbooksNew/index.cfm?TextID=halle&
PagePosition=1 and the title page would make a wonderful embroidery pattern
of it's own!

> When LACIS reprinted this book as "Patterns, Embroidery: early
> 16th Century"
> by Claude Nourry & Pierre de Saincte Louie" it didn't ring a bell. When I
> bought a copy and thumbed through the plates I recognized it instantly. I
> was thrilled for SCA needleworkers, but chagrinned. I felt I had "lost" a
> "secret source" for some patterns. Who was going to be interested in my
> recharting if they can hold an original plate in their hands and work from
> that? I may still include these 2 or 3 patterns as filler if I don't have
> enough patterns from other, harder to find sources.

Answer:  Please so include your patterns.  Lazy people like me who don't
really grok charting from an original source are happy to pay for someone to
do it for them.  A Very Period Thing To Do!

> One more wrinkle for Kim: she copyrighted her patterns by including the
> "copyright
> Kim Brody Salazar" (and date) on every pattern. However-- her publisher
> copyrighted
> the total book to himself.

	SCUM!  Still, she has copyright over her individual patterns.  She can't
reprint them as the publisher put them together and therefore match his
copyrighted format, but there should be a way around that.  Drat that real
life intrusion anyway!  I wonder if Lady Ianthe might be interested in
corresponding with Greg Lindahl about putting the charts up on his free
site.  Considering the amount of things he has up I don't believe she would
need to worry about him selling them or anything.  We all are aware that
"spare time" is a mythical thing, far more so than unicorns!

	Take a look at the Live Search site.  I put in Broiderie hoping to come up
with the Sibmacher all on line for you.  Didn't get that, but there is
"Needlework as an Art" by Lady M. Alford dated 1886 that you can download in
its entirety with mentions of early embroidery.  That was just the first few
available as there appears to be an entire section in this on-line effort
devoted to embroidery.
	I know that both Google and MSN (Live Search) are being watched by the
publishing industry for potential copyright infringement as they scan in
some of the biggest libraries in the US, but so far, so good.

Regina who really wants a "Hired Girl" robot who also vacuums, washes
dishes, shelves books and does laundry - or a House Elf!  I would be so nice
to a House Elf!  I'd give them comfy pillow cases or tea towels, their very
own beds (need more than one) and a clean, dry place to decorate as they
want!)