[HNW] 1597 Sibmacher

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 31 19:11:52 PDT 2007

I'll try to consolidate a fe wmessages here. With the house painters here
every day I'm not up to speed with reading/answering email. Sorry!

< If you're running a hobby business, and not deducting any expenses,
perhaps it doesn't matter as much.>

Yes, for me it's a hobby. I worked for 20 years as a secretary. I have
absolutely *no* desire to go into publishing in a major way. My only
experience with any sort of publishing has been of a highly amateur nature
in the SCA.

< If all you want is to disseminate patterns to the SCA on a  hobby/personal
enjoyment basis, why not just post them on a website?>

Because I'm not computer savvy  enough to create my own Web page. What I
have on the Web is an Assisi page, generously created by Mistress Mathilde
Eschenbach, a dear friend. I would also point out that since I left the work
world in 1991, I haven't had that many opportunities to earn money of my
own. Even the little bit I earn with my books is something special to me.

I'm too much of a part of the SCA practice of creating a book. Getting it
photocopied/offset press, spiral bind, then lug it to SCA events and sit at
a card table to sell it. A lot of us have done this. We chargd money to
reimburse ourselves for the costs of copying. I never made much profit with
"Flowers of the Needle" or the other needlwork reprints I sold.

< It does not hurt to Inquire with a "business lawyer", and/or "tax person"
to see aksing a person who is  profesional in waht you seek to do... is the
best course of action.  >

In re the idea of an ISBN, I could try contracting our H&R Block person. We
go to the same preparer every year because we like her so much. I could also
just skip the idea of an ISBN, since Mary Denise Smith didnt' go through the
process, either.

< I'm somewhat mystified at this discussion, because it's not been my
experience that an author needs to do all this. With the small print run
you're  considering, it seems to me that it would be OK to make good copies
and then sell  them to vendors who would then sell them to the public.>

I agree. I think the only "catch" might be Hoffman Pub, who I had hoped to
approach. If my  book doesn't have an ISBN, I'm concerned they might not
carry it. They are a pipeline to the modern needleworker. Even with a small
run, I need to make production money back with a small profit.

<Personally, I think you have the opportunity to fill a great  need, which
is good quality reproductions of period embroidery patterns--it sounds  like
the makings of a nice niche business>

I find this enthusiasm interesting, since I had facsimiles available years
ago and no one seemed to care! At one point (before I left Philly in 1998) I
was trying to get someone, anyone, to take them off my hands. A lot of them
were simple straight xeroxes of Italian needlework books. One was a spiral
bound photocopy of the Hans Hofer, 1545, that Linn Skinner now has
available. No takers! IIRC, I may have mailed them off to the West Kingdom
Needleworkers Guild -- the same kind folks who printed my article on Assisi
work when the editor of TI wouldn't.

I'm really not about to go into printing on any kind of ongoing basis. My
involvement in the SCA has been dwindling steadily since we bought our house
and I've started a garden. I'm getting close to 60 and I feel my life is in
a different direction now.

--Kathryn
SCA:  Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...too little time"