[HNW] 1597 Sibmacher

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 31 19:23:17 PDT 2007

Fran:

< I'm used to being around first-time, one-book  publishers who are
agonizing over the technical requirements for  preparing their print jobs
for a real printer (not a copy shop), over  how to prepare bound galleys for
the best shot at reviews in _Publishers  Weekly_ et al, over how to get onto
talk shows and what to say there,
 over how to get into chain bookstores, and so forth.>

You are obviously part of a world that most SCA folk do not participate
in--not even the Ph.D. candidates ( who do publish) . I don't think I've
ever met an SCA scholar, hoping to print, who cared a tinker's damn about
appearing in Publisher's Weekly, getting on talk shows, into chain
bookstores, etc.

We are a bunch of academics. For us the Big Thrill is finding info, talking
it to death, practicing it, showing it off, learning how to do it, etc. ad
nauseum.

<I figure that you either do your personal best, or you don't publish at
all. >

That's your opinion, coming from your own world. If you were a historical
needleworker, trying to find a pattern for an 8th century Lower Slobbovian
colorwork knitted glove you wouldn't care if the information  was printed on
toilet paper. As long as you could find documentation and a pattern, you'd
die happy.

That's who we are. <BG>

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn