[HNW] help with Carew Pole Men's Nightcap (in color) for Julie

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Wed Feb 14 17:07:07 PST 2007

Rather like a "smoking jacket" in the 1800's.  A cap to keep your head warm
when you came in from outside and wanted to relax "en familia".  Someone
must have loved the person they started this for!

Regina

 Chris Laning <claning at igc.org> wrote:
    I think the term "nightcap" in the 16th century might be somewhat
    misleading to modern people, as I know the term "nightgown" is. IIRC,
    in the 16th century a "nightgown" was more like what we would call a
    bathrobe -- not necessarily something you wore IN bed, but for
    lounging around the house in "undressed" casual mode. (I know this
    because it's what a servant would bring for her mistress to put on
    when she gets out of bed in the morning.)