[HNW] Second on the trip recomendations

Carol Thomas scbooks at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 15 09:46:35 PST 2007

V&A textile study room:

"BAG.  German, 14th c.  Coloured silks in brick stitch on linen; plaited
silk strings.  1567-1902."

"PART OF A STOLE OR MANIPLE.  GERMAN.  The band, embroidered with plied
white linen thread and coloured silks in brick stitch on linen, is of the
14th century.  The end, embroidered with couched silver thread, and
coloured silks in split stitch, on linen, is probably of 15th-16th century
date.  Said to come from the Cathedral of Halberstadt.  From the Bock
Collection.  7016-1860."

"BAG.  GERMAN, 14-th-15th century.  Plied while linen thread and coloured
silks in satin stitch on linen.  From the Bock Collection.  8699-1863."  I
would call this one pattern darning; unlike the brick stitch examples, the
stitches are of varying lengths.

"BAND. GERMAN, 14th-15th century.  Plied white linen thread and coloured
silks in satin stitch on linen.  From the Bock
Collection.  7048-1860."  Same comments as above.

"SUDARIUM.  Early 15th century.  This linen cloth, used by a bishop to hold
his crozier, is decorated with bands of silk embroidery in brick stitch,
probably German, and with a panel of Italian velvet...From the Bock
Collection.  8662-1863"

This was in another section of the study room: "PART OF A TOWEL USED FOR
ECCLESIASTICAL PURPOSES.  GERMAN; 14th century.  Running stitches on linen
on patterned (gauze) lien.  8636-1863."  Unlike the brick stitch examples,
the stitches are of varying lengths, and the ground is not entirely covered.

"TOWEL.  GERMAN, 14th or 15th century.  While linen thread in satin stitch
on linen.  From the Bock Collection.  8652-1863."  Ditto comment above.