[HNW] Ooxburgh images

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 14:45:09 PDT 2007

 < I would love to learn of any other books with pictures or charts of the
Oxburgh and Hardwick embroideries.>

Give me a day to go look at my materials. Some years back (1995) I was
working two of the images from needlework books. I also own a few (very few)
color postcards I've purchased at the V&A gift shop -- back in 1980.

I *was* working on a project to chart up as many of the Oxburgh  motifs as I
could find color photos of. The two pieces I worked are from books which,
IMHO, made color schemes far more complicated than what would have been
used. In fact, I was in the process of recharting one of them ("Knotted
Serpents") to reflect a simpler color scheme. Mary and her needlewoman
simply did not have access to all the DMC colors! <BG>

I believe Nancy/Ingvild has done a darn good list of the color images and
where to find them. I own a greeting card made from "Mushrooms", which I was
going to chart out myself.  Then we left Philadelphia. Then we bought a
house ---- there goes that! Besides, if I get time to work on a needlework
book, I already have one in mind. Not that I will probably make it a
priority.....

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries...toolittle time: