[HNW] Oxburgh snails

Susan B. Farmer sfarmer at goldsword.com
Thu Jun 14 16:36:51 PDT 2007

Quoting FaCS <littlefallsteacher at frontiernet.net>:

> Susan B. Farmer wrote:
>> Quoting FaCS <littlefallsteacher at frontiernet.net>:
>>

>>> There are about 6 pages of them in  The Victoria & Albert Museum's
>>> Textile Collection" Embroidery in Britain from 1200 to 1750, There are
>>> several in Elizabethan Embroidery by Digby, and I think I remember a
>>> couple in Schuette's Pictorial History of Embroidery.
>>>

>> I wish I had Digby to check.  I've looked in the others.  Thanks, though!
>
> Digby's pictures scan better than the ones in Schette, but not really
> very well.  I keep trying to figure out a way to use a film camera to
> take good pictures of both, but I don't have a camera that will take
> really good closeups.  Most cameras just aren't set to take something
> under 3 feet, and no one seems to have a SLR with a closeup lens.

I've never had any trouble scanning the images out of Schuette.  I've
done a boat-load of them too!  What you want is a Macro Lens.  :-)  I
have a 90mm by Vivitar that I just adore.  What I don't have is Digby.
  My library, dang-it-all, got rid of their copy!  *sigh*  Do you
happen to know if that Oak Tree is in there?  I've got a large copy of
the snails in Swain -- but I'd like to see color copies at this point
(unless I can get a large one of the tree ...)

Thanks!
jerusha/ susan
-----
Susan Farmer