[HNW] A Pictorial History of Embroidery

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 08:30:50 PDT 2007

In a message dated 6/28/07 12:07:09 AM, fran at lavoltapress.com writes:

> BTW--has absolutely no
> bearing on whether copyright theft damages the publishing industry as a
> whole. I've worked in the publishing industry for over 23 years.  I
> dount you have.  It does.

I think this is unnecessarly harsh. I, too, have worked in the publishing
industry for over 20 years and I'm a published author dozens of times over.   I'm
a big believer in copyrights, trust me, and I completely disagree with your
incredibly rude comments.

For the purposes of what we do, I don't think making personal copies of a
fairly obsure, out of print work for personal research and study is a problem. If
someone made mass copies of the book and sold them, that would be wrong and
illegal. Yes, copyright law/fair use is very vague, even copyright lawyers
agree on that point, but I deeply doubt that anyone is going to come knocking on
our doors because we made a bad xerox of this book on a library copy machine.

And who, exactly, do you think that we're "stealing" this book from? Are you
versed in the publishing history of this particular book and who, exactly owns
the copyright? The book was originally published by Verlag Ernst Wasmuth,
Tubingen, Germany, in 1963. If you are well versed in German copyright law, then
you can certainly tell us whether they retain copyright and if we should send
a check to them. However, the English translation was done by none other than
the great Donald King and copyrighted by Thames and Hudson in 1963. If you are
certain that THEY still own the copyright, then by all means let us all know.
In addition, some of us own French translations of the book. Who owns THOSE
copyrights? Are we stealing from them, too? And while we're at it, since the
book consists mainly of photos, you could also argue that we're stealing
royalties from every single museum, church, cathedral, and collection in Europe each
time we make a copy of one of those old, B&W, sometimes fuzzy, images in
Schuette.

The U.S. publisher of the book was Frederick Praeger, Inc, in 1964. Praeger
is now Greenwood publishing out of Connecticut, who likely doesn't own any
copyright to the book. My guess is that they purchased limited rights to publish
the book in the U.S. The book was published under two different titles,
"Pictorial History of Embroidery" in the U.S and "Art of Embroidery" in the U.K,
which means that if we don't want to steal anything we should probably send our
money to both places just to, you know, make sure. And how much, exactly, should
we be paying for our theivery? The original cover price of the book? The
going rate from used/rare book sellers, maybe? What it cost us per page to make
all those bad xeroxes?

It's very possible that Schuette is an "orphan," which is a copyrighted work
in which the copyright can no longer be determined. I don't know this for a
fact, but it's likely given its publishing history. If that is the case, then
fair use laws are much more relaxed. It also very well could be one reason why
the book has never been reprinted, although I'd guess it's the cost of renewing
the rights to all those pictures that makes it too expensive.

A big thiefs I am!
Gabrielle