[HNW] From the Copyright Scold

skinner02 at sprynet.com skinner02 at sprynet.com
Fri Jun 29 18:04:19 PDT 2007

Arguments aside.  If works are not in the public domaine, if you didn't write it or publish it, you have no right to copy it.

Copyright laws vary from country to country but only about 4 countries are not presently signatories to treaties on the copyright issue and it makes no difference if the book is out of print, obscure or difficult to find.

There are lots of books I would like to own or am tempted to copy but I save my pennies for them, borrow them on ILL or use them in a research library or just plain do without.

I've been through copyright hell on behalf of needlework designers and publishers, having gone so far as to testify before a congressional subcommittee on the subject.

For a little look at information compiled by a group of volunteers (including an intellectual property attorney) see:

www.skinnersisters.com/copyright

The issue is that the intellectual effort we expend to produce works are our property, just as your car or your refrigerator belongs to you.

The possibility of being apprehended (in a civil or criminal matter) may be small but the result can be serious.  People who appreciate fine needlework and important history can "do the right thing" and feel great about doing it. I appreciate all those who respect my rights and those of other publishers/designers.

Linn Skinner
Skinner Sisters
www.skinnersisters.com
www.embroideres.blogspot.com