[HNW] embroidered pillow information needed

Kristine Elliott souriete at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:58:00 PST 2007

On 11/5/07, lambdakennels1 at juno.com <lambdakennels1 at juno.com> wrote:

> I made a nice viking six board box that I use as a seat and to store my
> things in at events.  However, it gets rather hard after sitting on it all
> day.  Consequently, I am making a cushion for it.  I am using cotton tone on
> tone jacarard (sp?) fabric and cotton embroidery floss because I want to be
> able to wash it when it gets dirty.  I have embroidered a nice heraldic lion
> on it and am ready to assemble the cushion.  I am in need of remedial
> costuming help.  Someone told me that the cushion in period (late 13th
> century on up) would have piping on the seams and tassles.  I have no idea
> where to look to find information on this sort of thing.  Can someone please
> put me out of my misery and point me in the right direction.  Many thanks.
>
> Lady Stephanie Lilburn
> aka Stephanie Smith, Ph.D
> Hunt County, Texas
> Owned by a Poodle and an Australian Cattle Dog
> K5AMK

I am not in favor of the idea that there is always a One True way of
doing things. I mean, if you are interested in making a historical
style cushion, you are probably looking for documentation on cushions
of a particular time and place. How do you know the person who told
you 13th century cushions had pipings and tassels is giving you
information about the time and place you are trying to reproduce? I'd
ask them for their source if I was really concerned.

Rockbottom, I would do whatever works best for you. If you want to
spend time researching cushion making in your time and place, go for
it. (I can't tell you where to being unless you are doing 16th century
English cushions, and even then, I know more able the embroidery than
the pillow construction.) If you want to omit the piping and tassels,
go for it. If you decide later that piping and tassels are more
appropriate, it shouldn't take you long to pick apart your seams and
add them.

Scolastica
--
http://www.geocities.com/souriete/

If you can't get rid of them ugly old skeletons in the closet, at least teach
'em how to dance funny.  Billy C. Wirtz