[HNW] HNW gold thread embroidery

Deborah Fox richenda at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 6 06:53:57 PST 2007

Yes, you can do satin stitch with gold thread.  You want very fine
threads,( passing threads).   The times I have done it I have used 3 threads
doubled over and waxed them until they are stiff.  Use a big enough needle
to keep the fabric from damaging the threads and keep your thread length
reasonable so they don't pass through the fabric too many times and it looks
very nice.  I don't think it is any harder than any other gold thread
technique.  I have only tried it with modern passing threads, not real gold
ones, so I can't help you there.  And I'm not sure on the timeline either-
I'm pretty sure it was done in the 17th century and possibly late 16th, but
don't know from there on out.

Richenda, delurking