[HNW] gold thread embroidery

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 13:48:01 PST 2007

Greetings,

Benton & Johnson sells passing thread that is a small percentage of real
gold. I have some and it's fair. I've discovered that you need a very wide-eyed
needle for gold embroidery (passing) work, so that the eye opens the ground
threads enough for the gold to pass through smoothly. I've also discovered that
any thread with "real" gold in it tends to catch on my ground fabric more than
the jap gold I use for other things. It may be the brand of passing gold I
happen to have, but there you go.

I also have some very fine passing thread from Tinsel Trading in NYC. They
have a web site but no catalog (www.tinseltrading.com) The passing thread I have
is not gold, but it works very well and looks great.

Cheers,
Gabrielle