[HNW] HNW gold thread embroidery

Fletcher Martha mrfletcher21133 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 03:07:15 PST 2007

I agree,

Gold and silver are not difficult to work with at all.
It sounds like you need the gold "passing thread",
work with short lengths,
wax the thread a bit,
but above all use a needle that will make a hole large
enough for the metallic thread you are working with to
pass through the fabric without dragging.

All these things will keep the gold on the core thread
where it belongs.

Martelle

--- Deborah Fox <richenda at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> Yes, you can do satin stitch with gold thread.  You
> want very fine
> threads,( passing threads).   The times I have done
> it I have used 3 threads
> doubled over and waxed them until they are stiff.
> Use a big enough needle
> to keep the fabric from damaging the threads and
> keep your thread length
> reasonable so they don't pass through the fabric too
> many times and it looks
> very nice.  I don't think it is any harder than any
> other gold thread
> technique.  I have only tried it with modern passing
> threads, not real gold
> ones, so I can't help you there.  And I'm not sure
> on the timeline either-
> I'm pretty sure it was done in the 17th century and
> possibly late 16th, but
> don't know from there on out.
>
> Richenda, delurking

Visit my personal website-