[HNW] need help with title

Kathryn Newell cknewell at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 1 14:08:07 PDT 2007

Dear Fellow Listers:

I need help!  I'm trying to come up with a title for the new book. This is
the one where I'm recharting all 145 charted patterns from "Flowers of the
Needle". *big sigh*

To refresh your memories, the *translated* titles of the 16th century
Italian pattern books I'm working from are:

 " Exemplar of works wherein tender maidens.etc."
"A New Exemplar, which teaches young ladies..etc.)"
"The Universals of beautiful embroidery..""
"A New Work composed by Domenico da Sera.etc")
""A New Universal Work...etc.")
"The true perfection of design of various..")

I'm also smittten with the title of a book we didin't use: "Most Precious
Gems..."

I was thinking it should be something to do with flowers or gardens, to show
it's derivation from "Flowers of the Needle", so I'm leaning towards
something with "Garden" in the title, i.e.

"A Garden of Delightful Designs, for needlework, etc etc."
(alternatively, The Garden of Delightful Designs...")

"The Universal Garden of Needlework Designs...".

I'm also thinking of:

"The Artful Needle"
"A New Exemplar" (gee, how original!)
"A Universal Crown of Embroidery"

Any opinions anyone? I need, at least, a working title. I hope to go with a
real publisher on this on, and s/he will probably not appreciate my 16th
century leanings, but you never know!

--Kathryn
SCA: Kathryn Goodwyn
"too many centuries..too little time"