[HNW] Elizabethan series

Marmaeve marmaeve at aros.net
Mon Oct 1 17:36:56 PDT 2007

Hello,

Actually they are considered and classified as Stumpwork even though later
developments became more three dimensional. The items usually shown were
pressed and padding was removed both by time and by overzealous Victorian
restorers.

Please believe me, it's the same needle art. I'm in process of making a
close copy of the Margaret Layton jacket.

I love the Elizbethan series, but it's rather random, some of the
artists/designers are more 'flat' than others. One has a 'sweete bag' where
although the design basis is Elizabethan, the project looks more like 1970's
design. It was flat, not rounded as it was on the original period models
used, and some plants were so poorly done as to be unrecognizable or are
listed as something other than what they actually are.

It takes a fair amount of looking at pictures of period plants to get them
correct. I used the Fashion in Detail list from the V& A and found that
several of the plants used in that project in particular were not what the
designer said they were by looking up pictures of the acutal plant.

I was really hoping they would be as it would have speeded up some of the
design choices for the Jacket.

But as I said, I really love the series, even if I have to do some extra
work to make 'period' patterns.

However, I'm still interested. The Oxburgh Tapestries or Hangings were
called that because of the so-called Tapestry stitch, which is needlepoint
and pettipoint. Ah how I love Victorian Classifications <Gryn>

Are you making them 3-d? That would be really Amazing!

If you want a different view of them, I recommend the two pieces made into
treasure boxes by Frances Hughes for the magazine Threadneedle street.

Do you have a copy of The Needlework of Mary, Queen of Scots by Margaret
Swain?

Hope all goes well with your project! Please keep us informed.

Regards,
Marmaeve