[HNW] Elizabethan series - not historically accurate

Marmaeve marmaeve at aros.net
Mon Oct 1 23:09:36 PDT 2007

Hello,

You undoubtedly have access to "Elizabethan Embroidery" By George Wingfield Digby. That's usually the great "Bible" of Elizabethan stitchery. So that probably is not what you are looking for.

But if you are looking for more unusual usage, you might try The Royal School of Needlework books on Stumpwork and other stitches. It may have what you are looking for. Most were released with kits a few years back. Try Mary Hickamot's New Stitches, Cross Stitch Gold, and Cross Stitch collection for the ads in them about that series.

I can't remember more about them right now. I have a massive paper on Kit Marlowe to finish soon.<Sigh/Gryn> (I really like the new Park Honan bio, but I need more information on Robt Poley. Oh well.)

I only mentioned that the Elizabethan series were not particularly period because I'd ended up in trouble by using them blindly, and only for that reason. No offense intended.
Good luck with your projects. I'd really love to see your Oxburgh references if you have the time and are willing to share them.

Regards,

Marmaeve