[HNW] Elizabethan series

Allison263 at aol.com Allison263 at aol.com
Tue Oct 2 06:37:55 PDT 2007

In a message dated 10/2/07 12:56:59 AM, marmaeve at aros.net writes:

> Really, all of my research says that it's not crosstich. Where did you find
> the reference and could you send it?

The Oxburgh hangings are most definitely done primarily in cross stitch, with
a smattering of other counted stitches here and there in a few of the motifs.
I examined them (through the glass, unfortunately) the last two times I was
at the V&A, and is clear that they are cross stitch. It's very, very difficult
to see it, however, because the silk thread has flattened so much over the
centuries that the top stitch of the cross completely hides the bottom stitch. We
had to use magnifying glasses to tell, and then it was clear only in areas
that were damaged.

Unfortunately, most embroidery books incorrectly describe the hangings as
being made of tent stitch. Also, many of the V&A's own publications say this. My
apprentice wrote to the V&A after our visit to tell them that their
publications are incorrect, and she got a response from the head of the textile division
who said, we examined the hangings, you're right, we're going to change
things. Don't know if they've gotten around to it yet, though, that's been 5 years.
I know, as of last winter, the post cards with images of the hangings
described them as "tent stitch." Sigh.

Cheers,
Gabrielle